Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Believe in Naps

This afternoon I awoke in the dull half light to the sound of rain on our tin roof and a feeling of utter peace. After a week of record temperatures the cool change has blown in and brought with it much needed rain and a taste of the tropics.

clothesline

As I slowly returned to the conscious world I picked up one of my favourite books ‘Simple Abundance, a Daybook of Comfort and Joy’ by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I was first given my own copy in 1999 and it has seen me through many highs and lows, and today as I was flicking through its pages I came across this quote under the title ‘The Gift of Sacred Idleness’, it goes;

“Work is not always required…there is such a thing as sacred idleness, the cultivation of which is now fully neglected. –George MacDonald

buronga gol gol 023This quote comes after a conversation with a friend the night before as she wished that doctors prescribed Rest Cures as in days of old.

My friend and I consider ourselves accomplished ‘Nappers’, there is nothing quite like a little rest in the afternoon when it can be squeezed in. More than this, my family take one day off in the week, Saturday, and refrain from doing any work whatsoever. No dishes, no housework, no work calls,emails and we try to keep it tech free if we can, and of course we nap!

No comments: