Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Giving

I found this little bird on flicker the other day (and I’m really sorry but I didn’t save the reference link for it) but it was so cute I couldn’t help but be inspired to design my own (see the one below) this was my first attempt but it needs some tweeking.
I have actually enlisted my husband and his scary bandsaw to cut out some wings for me out of thin ply wood and I think I will incorporate some twine and some tiny rusty bells I found the other day at my favourite store Angelicas (I’m going to do a feature on this store very soon). But as a beginning it will do for now and will find a nice spot on my Christmas tree.

bird01IMG_2059

Autumn to winter, winter to spring
Spring into summer, summer into autumn-
So rolls the changing year, and so we change;
Motion so swift, we know not that we move.
-Dinah Mulock Craik

And so here we are at the start of the official Christmas season. I don’t know about you but I’m tired both physically and emotionally. The frantic crowds down the street, the blaring advertising trying to steal your last dollar, the expectations from family, friends and from yourself. Yep I’m about done.

I find myself so easily thinking “I just want it to be over” but like the above quote says time moves so fast. Children grow so quick and loved ones pass on as surely as the sun rises and sets and I don’t want to miss out on the ‘now’ because I’m wishing for the future.

So…I will embrace the spirit of Christmas which is about generosity and giving, not commercial hype, but true giving from the heart. I will remember that less is more, simple is best and time spent with people is better than time rushing from here to there in a spending frenzy. OK, back on track now.

On a slightly different note I have completed another project. This one I made for myself as a practice run for the one I want to make for my Mum for her birthday in 6 days time.

Its a Japanese Knot bag and I have wanted to make one ever since I saw some at the Bendigo Art Gallery (they were very pretty made from vintage Kimono’s but I didn’t want to pay squillions

IMG_2058

IMG_2056

for one),so I did a quick sketch to get the idea of how they were made and there you have it.

No comments: