Saturday, January 16, 2010

Alchemy for Granny Squares

So, I have joined Pip’s Granny Square a day group and so far I have finished five squares since Wednesday taadaa! I will only post the results of my square a day project once a week.

alchemy 017

I have been meaning to dye some cream wool that has been sitting in my wool stash for a couple of years but this Granny Square challenge has encouraged me to create some rainbow wool to include in my Granny Squares.

Below a pot of colour, using wool dyes from Morning Star Crafts boiled with vinegar. Basically I lay the wool in the pot with enough boiling water to cover it and a cup of vinegar (I think, I kind of guess this stuff)  then pour the dyes over the wool in patches and kind of squish it all together with a chop stick so the colours run together. Once it has been boiling for a while and all the colour has been taken up by the wool I pour it into the sink and rinse with cold water.

alchemy 006

Hang it up and let it dry and there you have beautiful one of a kind wool. I wasn’t totally successful I wanted to dye all of the wool I had(which was quite a bit) so it was reasonably uniform but I didn’t put quite enough dye in some spots so it’s a bit lighter in some areas, not what I was after.

alchemy 011 

The next step is winding into balls I love doing this and seeing the wonderful mesh of colours.

5 comments:

Hsu-Yin said...

oh wow, i think it turned out really well! the colours look very vibrant from here. . . : )

TaraLee said...

your dyeing looks super! 5 granny squares already way to go!

Izabela said...

I love multicolored yarns, this looks really great! can't wait to see some things made from it...
I made two squares so far...

Happydacks said...

Kylie, your hand dyed yarn looks fantastic...good on you joining in with Pip!! I am thinking about doing the same.
Michele x

Mandy said...

I love rainbow coloured yarn/thread! My favourite! So you better send some to me!