Saturday, June 26, 2010

Living Grateful…

Sometimes it takes a while for a truth to be deeply assimilated into your life. Sometimes it takes hearing this truth a few times before the full impact can be appreciated and it become part of  your consciousness.

3-little-girls2

Here

A new truth has been born into my life and it has really been a bit of a turning point. I have struggled for a small while now with the ‘if only’s’ and the ‘what if’s’, I’m not sure if it might be a mid life thing but it has had me a little dissatisfied and uneasy with where I am at the moment. However through a series of conversations I have had with a friend recently  something she has said has really ‘come home’ to me.

_MG_4784

Here

Basically it’s the concept that just because certain circumstances/decisions etc have shaped the direction of our lives is not to say a different set of circumstances or decisions would have made our lives either better or worse!  I finally get it!!!
Regret is a pointless exercise in making ourselves extremely unhappy, and to combat this and further cement the new truth I have embarked on a gratitude journey.

How important it is to be grateful, but how often do we consciously take time to give thanks for the myriad of little pleasures that come our way each day, even on the blackest of days?

SM_All_The_Stars_Decal

Here

I am trying to take steps towards becoming more mindful of the pleasures of life that sweeten and gladden the heart, and to help me I am keeping a gratitude journal. This is nothing new I know but I thought perhaps every now and then I would post some of the things that I have taken time to notice and be grateful for in my week.

RecycledHome-LivingRoom 

Here

I’m not so savvy as to have worked out how to get a McLinky to work so if you want to join me in gratitude then perhaps just make a comment and I will visit to see what makes you glad.


835

Here

  So, some of the things that I have consciously given thought to recently are…

…giggling with my best friend like we were twelve again…

birds

Here 

…my 93 year old grandma hugging me and telling me she loves me…

cup cosy 2

…the colour blue…

cup cosy 

Here

…playing battleship with my 9 year old son and shaking hands with him at the end and calling it a draw (I was winning)…

SB2

…being able to appreciate the wonky, quirky, rustic, not quite finished, broken, dusty, old, unusual things of life…

…a beautiful halo moon on a rainy night.

Just a few things. What are you grateful for?

2 comments:

Kaye said...

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart"
Celia Thaxter (American Poet, 1836-1894)

I picked up on your blog about being grateful, and thought you might appreciate this quote.

I am a new author of a book titled: When I Am Grateful
It's a gift book that outlines the 'stuff' that can happen to us everyday and then reminds
the reader how we can be grateful, even in the most challenging times.

You can view a book video on my site which gives you a free peek.
Go to: wheniamgrateful.com

Have a Grateful Day!

rstyleswood said...

Can so relate to this, I think we all have those moments when we think what if? But if the 'what if' happened, then all the stuff that has, wouldn't have, if that makes sense.
Loving your style!