Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finders Keepers

Op Shop Finds- Books

I have a little bit of a problem…I love books especially children’s books. I suppose it’s not really a problem except that I want to collect some that I can turn into projects, but when I find some that I think will be good I can’t bear to break them.
I don’t mind so much if they are ones that are already ripped a bit but if they are in good condition I just can’t do it. I suppose the ones that are ripped are just put in the bin damn it, they would be perfect for me.
Maybe I could ask the op shop ladies for any ripped pre 1980 books that might come in,hmmm.

These are the latest collected for crafting that I can’t bear to break…doh!  Of course I tend to collect pre 1980, the illustrations just have such a charm about them, so sweet.

IMG_3253 IMG_3252

1970                                                   1978

IMG_3251 IMG_3254

1958                                                    197? Printed in Yugoslavia

I actually have just finished a couple of presents using a couple of books that were in poor condition, therefore were perfect, and I was really happy with how they have worked out. I can’t post about them yet as that would be letting the cat out of the bag but I will soon.

Doilies

I went to one of my favourite op shops out at Red Cliffs today and really found some lovely treasure as you can see. Doilies, beautifully embroidered and a gorgeous vintage pillow slip.

IMG_3257IMG_3260 IMG_3262

This is my favourite, it’s just way to pretty for anything to be sitting on it so I think I will use it with the the pillowslip and make it into a cushion, all those golden colours will fit together beautifully.

IMG_3258

IMG_3261

Look at that beautiful hand work, sweet little daisies.

IMG_3263

Close up of the pillow slip.
I’m pretty sure we had something like this when I was a kid or my grandma did, it’s been washed a lot and is all soft and the colours have muted but I like it like that. Stay tuned for the finished pillow I think that might be tonight's project!

4 comments:

Thea said...

Embroidery is always good. These are lovely.

Nick said...

Lovely doilies. I try to find duplicates of a book, and that gives me permssion to cut one up!

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

oh yes, look forward to the makeover.
on those children's books... i understand your dilemma all too well. somethimes i am so relieved when i discover a gorgeous vintage book already has torn out pages, since then it isn't so heart breaking to start tearing out and cutting up. on the other hand, i hate accumulating if it isn't functional, and i have way too many books sitting on the shelf already.
i guess it is also a kind of balance game... :))

Cherie said...

Ohhh all gorgeous treasures! I get your dilemma too, but then ... ??? Hope you have a wonderful week.xo