Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday night, do do do, do do, do do!

Ok that title might seem a bit random if you don’t know the song!

IMG_3196

Anyhoo, this Saturday night I am sitting down to my home made creamy mushroom soup. I am also reading an amazing, insightful and helpful book. But first the soup!

On the last day of my Bendigo holiday my mum and I went for a wander around all those little out of the way shops that you don’t always get time to see. As we were walking around we walked past a lovely café and as it was time for lunch decided to see what soup was on offer, Creamy Mushroom Soup was the soup of the day with a crusty Baguette. OK I thought this sounds nice and ‘Oh My’ was it ever and I have been a little obsessed with having a go at making my own ever since. So voila!

Creamy Mushroom Soup

1 Tbspn Butter
10-12 Medium Mushrooms
1 litre vegetable stock
1/2 cup cream

So basically sauté your roughly chopped mushrooms in butter for 5 min until slightly wilted, add vegetable stock and allow to come to the boil, simmer for 10 min. Turn off the heat and stir through the cream.
I actually made mine Friday so I left it overnight which gave it better flavour. YUM!

The Book
Simplicity Parenting – Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids
By Kim John Payne, M.Ed.

Simplicity Parenting is all about the ‘Less is More’ principle and about fostering in your children calmness, mindfulness, reflection and individuality. A practical guide to creating a haven of peace in a frenetic world, this book suggests how to streamline and
de clutter your home environment, establish rhythms and rituals, schedule a break in the schedule and scale back on media and information overload.

I have really enjoyed reading this book as it helps to remind me of the things I know but sometimes forget in the fast paced consumer society we live in. It has come along at a time when I have been consciously thinking about what’s important and how to continue the simplification process in my and my family’s life. I thoroughly recommend this book.

No comments: