Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Creative Space - Take an old pair of jeans and a pillow case….

I’m not sure if it’s the collective conscience memory kicking in or a childhood raised on BBC dramas and English boarding school novels but I have a love of all things English. Just this holidays gone my mum and I spent most evenings watching ‘Relocation Relocation’ on the Lifestyle channel, a UK Real Estate show that allowed us to peep inside a bunch of beautiful English houses. Oh and, the rolling hills, the wildflowers the green greeness, Ahhh!

london calling

But I digress…just the other day I was walking past a shop that had enormous denim floor pillows with the Union Jack stitched on the front in either the red, white and blue or just all denim…Love! Way too expensive for me I’m afraid but ever since I seem to be seeing Union Jacks everywhere so there’s nothing for it, I’ve had to make something.

IMG_3199

I already had in mind to make a hot water bottle cover as I didn’t have one (oh, by the way don’t you just love the smell of hot water bottles? I do!) and I had an old pair of jeans that had worn out, and so in the spirit of reduce,reuse, recycle I used my old jeans and a vintage pillow slip I found at the op shop and voila there is my new hotty cover! Unfortunately you cant see the green and purple floral in this photo but I think it’s quite pretty.

Then, as I was playing with the fabric the pillow came to mind but obviously a pair of jeans doesn't have enough material for that so I will have to be content for the moment with a pencil case. Also a good way of doing a test run.

5 comments:

fuelforbodyandsoul said...

Thanks for the postcard! It's lovely and I love the fact that the envelope was decorated as well. I've taken some photos and will post them on my blog and in the flickr pool this evening :)

BOB & MABEL said...

I think I saw the same cushions in the window of a children's wear shop whilst in Mildura during the holidays.
Love your handiwork!

dash robin said...

That is so cool, I love what you have done there!
I can relate to the UK fascination but I think if I ever went to England I would have quite odd expectations...from growing up watching the Goodies...where are all the giant kittens and 3 seater bikes??

Renee said...

I have been watching Escape to the Country on 7two on Friday nights - another English real estate show that is my favourite show of the whole week! Love your denim union jack!

Jill said...

Lovely idea! And what a great blog! Just found you through kirsty's creative spaces. I'm off to sign up as a follower so I can keep up with your interesting posts!