Saturday, October 16, 2010

IF - Spooky

This week's topic is "Spooky" suggested by BiggeBP (http://www.biggebp.blogspot.com/).

". . . the moon gazed on my midnight labours, while, with unrelaxed and breathless eagerness, I pursued nature to her hiding-places." ~ Mary Shelley

Initial sketch and watercolour

Ooooo…..what makes you feel all spooky? Me, it’s dolls and clockwork, creepy. I never liked dolls, when I was little teddy’s were my thing, and as for things that move on their own…ahhhhhh!

spookygirl_pen 

I actually quite like the plainness of the pen and watercolour version before the digital additions but I think I should have done the hair with just pen and I wish I had continued the ‘stitching’ around her face.

 spookygirl_pen_watercolour copy

Tick-tock, tick-tock, eeek I’m creeping myself out here.

It’s funny but I don’t like drawing scary, creepy type things. It kind of frightens me to dredge up something twisted from my own mind I prefer my insecurities and fears to remain firmly repressed in my subconscious thank-you. But for the sake of IF I guess I can venture to the dark edge and have a quick peek before slamming the door shut and running screaming back into the light.

Digital Version

So here she is in all her evil dolliness, wa ha ha!

Spookygirl_digital

5 comments:

sfd said...

I don't like drawing scary things either and I just couldn't bring myself to draw anything scary even for this prompt! :)
I do like your illustration, looks great.

claudine hellmuth said...

love all the versions from the line work to the finished digital! I also think dolls are really creepy!

heidialdin said...

This is great! The finished piece is soo spooky! But kind of cute too :)

Isabelle said...

Hi Kylie!
Really great result, and it is always so much fun to see the sketches! I think the candle with the little face is as scary as the walking/crancke doll. hehehe. Good job!

Jack Foster said...

Hey Kylie! Great subject and cool colors! Very nice design. Spooky is right on! I have to leave a comment for the girls (are they twins?) Cool stuff! Hey thanks for stopping by. Love your other blog too!