Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Be Kind

 

 

Be Kind

‘Be Kind’ Gauche and paper on Magnani Pescia with digital collage.

It has been a long, hard couple of months but I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Not only that I have learned some really valuable life lessons, the top one being not living true to yourself is like a living death (I know , it sounds very dramatic). The other one being that trying to please everyone is impossible and just plain dumb.

So the story goes, I got offered a job working part time for a magazine as well as still working for the design studio I have been employed at for the past four years. Yay! I say to myself some more money would be really handy and how cool that I was head hunted for the position….yeah really great, so rushing headlong I start my new position and then quickly realise
1. I don’t really like working in advertising (which is basically what I was doing) and
2. I am now working full time and I can no longer find time to do my Illustration! Aww crap!

Time is a limited resource and if your not spending it doing what you love to do at least some of the time, or working towards the day when you are doing it most of the time, then you need to change pronto.

So I did. I gave notice and now I spend the two days that I was working at the Mag doing what I love. Illustrating and doing what it takes to move towards the day when I do this for a living.

I am finally owning it and letting myself believe in myself and truly respecting my work and what I do. I think I have allowed myself to be subtly influenced into feeling that what I do isn’t valid or ‘real’ work, but I flatly refuse to allow that anymore. I am an artist and illustrator, that’s it!

No comments: